U.S. Savings Bonds Poster Contest Awards State Winners Over $88,000 In U.S. Savings Bonds
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 29, 1999
More than 20,000 students from all over the United States in grades 4 through 6 entered the Eighth U.S. Savings Bonds Poster Contest, conducted by the U.S. Treasury Department's Bureau of the Public Debt. Now all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico have selected their first, second and third place poster winners and presented them with U.S. savings bonds prizes. Each first place state winner received a $1,000 savings bond and their poster goes onto the national competition. All second place winners received a $500 bond and third a $200 bond. That adds up to $88,400 in U.S. savings bond prizes for students across the country.(See attached roster of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners from each state, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.) PDF format, file size 15 KB, file uploaded 4/29/99
- The winning posters from all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico in the national competition were judged on originality, design, visual appeal, and how well they conveyed the savings bond theme, “U.S. Savings Bonds--Creating a New Century of Savings.” The judging was hosted by Charles Schulz at Snoopy's Gallery in Santa Rosa, CA.
- On May 20, 1999, the first, second and third place national winners will be announced and they will receive, respectively, $5,000, $2,000, and $1,000 savings bonds at a ceremony in Washington, D.C., in the U.S. Treasury Department's Cash Room.
- Accommodations and transportation to and from Washington, D.C., are provided for the three national winners and a parent or guardian. While in Washington, winners are invited to tour the historic Treasury Building and meet the Treasurer of the United States, visit the U.S. Capitol, and go see the Bureau of Engraving and Printing where currency is made.
- MetLife is the national sponsor of the 1999 contest.
Where Winning Posters Can Be Seen:
- The first place national winner's poster will be used for the 2000 U.S. Savings Bonds Campaign and, therefore, seen all over the country.
- The 52 winning posters from the states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico will be on exhibit in Washington, D.C., at the Capital Children's Museum during June and July and at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, August through October.
- Photographs of the winning posters with the artist's and school's name will also be displayed in major airports across the country.