Fifty-Two State Finalists Vie For National Honors In U.S. Savings Bonds Poster Contest
National Winners To Be Announced May 24
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 17, 2001
Fifty-two students from all over the United States in grades 4 through 6 have reached the finals of the Tenth Annual U.S. Savings Bonds Poster Contest, conducted by the U.S. Treasury Department's Bureau of the Public Debt. The 52 are first-place winners selected from the more than 25,000 posters entered from the 50 States, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. In addition to eligibility for the national competition, each first-place state winner already has received a $1,000 savings bond. (See list of finalists.) (PDF file size 9 KB, uploaded 5/17/01)
- The winning posters were judged on originality, poster design, visual appeal, and how well they conveyed the savings bond theme, “Reach for the Stars -- Buy U.S. Savings Bonds.”
- On May 24, 2001, the first, second and third place national winners will be announced and they will receive, respectively, $5,000, $2,000, and $1,000 in savings bonds at the ceremony in Washington, D.C., at the Capital Children's Museum.
- Accommodations and transportation to and from Washington, D.C., are provided for the three national winners and a parent or guardian. While in Washington, winners are invited to tour the historic Treasury Building and meet Treasury Officials, visit the U.S. Capitol, and the Bureau of Engraving and Printing where currency is made.
- The United Space Alliance is the national sponsor of the 2001 contest.
- Renaissance Washington DC Hotel is providing the accommodations.
Where Winning Posters Can Be Seen:
- The first-place national winner's poster will be used nationwide in the 2002 U.S. Savings Bonds Campaign.
- The 52 top posters will be exhibited in Washington, D.C., at the Capital Children's Museum during May, and at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, June through September.
- Photographs of the winning posters with names of the artists and their schools also will be displayed in major airports across the country and on our Web site.