Skip Navigation

Get help for lost, stolen, or destroyed EE or I savings bond

If your paper savings bond is lost, stolen, destroyed, mutilated, or you never received it, you can ask for replacement.

You have 2 options - electronic bond or cash the bond

If you choose to replace your paper bond, your replacement EE or I savings bond will be an electronic savings bond in our online system, TreasuryDirect. If you don't yet have a TreasuryDirect account, you need to open one.

If you do not want the electronic bond, you can ask us to cash the paper bond. Normally, you must hold a bond for a year before cashing it. However, if the problem with your bond occurred because of a disaster, we may waive that requirement. See Affected by a disaster.

FS Form 1048

For us to replace or cash your EE or I savings bond, you must fill out and submit FS Form 1048. To get the correct version, answer this question:

Do you know your bonds’ serial numbers?

  • If your bond was issued before 1974, use this FS Form 1048. Use this version even though you don’t know the serial numbers.
  • If your bond was issued in 1974 or after, go to Treasury Hunt. Enter the information Treasury Hunt requests. If the system finds your bonds, it will give you a special version of FS Form 1048 that enables us to process your claim without serial numbers. Make sure the form shows a reference number at the top, then complete the form. Sign it in the presence of a notary or a certifying official. Mail the form to the address on the form.

What to do if you later find the lost bond

Once we replace or cash your bond, the original bond no longer belong to you. It belongs to the U.S. government.

If you later find your lost bond, please return it to us. Send it to:

Treasury Retail Securities Services
P.O. Box 9150
Minneapolis, MN 55480-9150

We're Here to Help

8 a.m. to 5 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time (SLGS 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)